Thursday, March 20, 2014

Thoughts on food and health

I grew up with some of the most amazing southern cooks on the planet! Eating was not just something you had to do but an event! It was something you looked forward to. It was cutting up and having fun and sometimes it was a lecture and drama but it was always done with amazing food and the entire family. Mom and grandma passed on to me from a young age all those lovely recipes. 

Foods like meatloaf, fried chicken, mashed potatoes,pan gravy and home made bisquits! The holidays were even better. A symphony for the senses! The smells, tastes, textures and just being together to make it all!  There was sage stuffing made with bread that was torn up and dried for a week. Home made egg noodles, more pies than you can imagine, from minced meat (for my step dad) to cherry for me :). And the home made yeast rolls were to die for. We ate till we were miserable and went back for more 2 hours later and ate left overs for days!  

Eating has always been something I enjoy!! Breads of any kind being my biggest weakness with sweets coming in a close second. We always had bisquits for dinner. One of my favorite foods being home made bisquits and sausage gravy. Until about 3 years ago I could eat what ever I wanted and never gain wait and never worry about it. Now I'm 43 and can no longer do that. 

If I wanna be thin and I wanna be healthy and live a long life doing things I enjoy with my family and husband I have to eat healthy. The problem is I have never eaten anything truly healthy that I can say I love and can't live with out. Oh there are things I like. A nice fresh salad and fresh fruits. Cedar grilled salmon, grilled chicken breast and fresh nuts. But none of those things I really love! And most healthy stuff just taste ok or down right awful!! And you can only eat the same things over and over before it also looses its appeal. I think that is why I always back slide into bad eating for a while. I have truly tried to find healthy things to eat that I love and have come to the conclusion that its just not going to happen. My tasted buds are too spoiled and too southern to give it up now. 

All that being said I have now decided I just have to change my way of thinking about eating. It can no longer be something I enjoy. An "event". It has to be a simple bodily necessity. Like brushing my teeth or sleeping. Ok it's time to eat lets get this done. It's the only way I'm going to be able to cope and get this 30 lbs off and keep it off and be healthy to enjoy other things. I hope I can truly retrain my brain about food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment